20.5.10

Bake. bake. bake.

Even though I've been sick still, I just couldn't resist the urge to bake any longer.
So, today I made a mixed berry pie - although it came out a little more juicy than I would have liked, it tastes ah-mazing. The crust came out so good - best I've ever made.

I still kind of want to make some cupcakes, but that'll have to wait for next month. I'm low on eggs, and have to ration them out to last me until my next grocery run.

Here is the recipe for the mixed berry pie:



Mixed Berry Pie

pâte brisée for 2 rounds crust
2 cups Blueberries, picked over and rinsed
3 cups Strawberries, roughly chopped
1 cup Blackberries (you can use any berries you want)
3/4 cups sugar, plus some for sprinkling top
2 tablespoons flour, plus some for rolling the dough
2 tablespoons cornstarch
zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the dough, 1/8-inch thick, to fit a 9-inch pie pan. Chill the shell while assembling the filling.

In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, sugar, flour, cornstarch, lemon zest, cinnamon and ginger. Stir until well combined. Remove the pie shell from the refrigerator and pour in the fruit mixture.

Roll out the other half of the dough on a lightly flour surfaced. Cut into strips to make a lattice topping. Arrange the dough into a lattice pattern. Crimp the edges. Sprinkle sugar over the top.

Bake the pie at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and place foil over the edges because they will be browning lightly. (I just moved my pie to the bottom rack) Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees. Let bake for an additional 35-40 minutes until the crust is golden and the fruit filling has started to bubble. Best served with vanilla ice cream.

Recipe from My Life As a Reluctant Housewife blog.

Oh, and don't ask me where that large missing piece is...neither Fernando, baby F, nor I, know anything about that.

0 comments: